bullx S6000 supernode
Satisfying the needs of the most memory-hungry applications
Building on its acknowledged experience in designing Bull SMP systems, Atos introduces a new generation of supernodes, which takes you even further in Extreme Computing. Featuring an architecture that supports up to 288 processing cores and an exceptional memory capacity of up to 24TB, the bullx S6000 servers are engineered for high performance and in-memory computing.
Because maximizing production time and minimizing servicing time – without compromising on quality of service – has become a key issue, the bullx S6000 is not just powerful but also cost-effective and convenient to operate.
blastx benchmark: discover how the Atos Center for Excellence in Parallel Programming increased the performance of the “blastx” code used for genomics thanks in particular to the memory capabilities of the bullx S6000 series. The overall run time was reduced by a factor of x7.7.
At the confluence of HPC and Big Data
The bullx S6000 servers have been designed specifically to meet in-memory requirements and converge business-critical computing and High Performance Computing. They are ideally suited to support massive in-memory data bases, pre-processing, post-processing, and visualization. They are among the most scalable and modular ultra-high memory servers on the market, starting with 2 CPUs and 256 GB of memory, and going up to 16 CPUs with 24TB of memory – with a linear performance scaling.
A powerful and modular range
The bullx S6000 series consists of four complementary models, sharing a new generation Bull Coherence Switch to interconnect up to 16 CPUs. A Connecting Box assembles modules with no apparent cabling, and makes it possible to easily add compute and memory resources. This helps adjust memory and compute resources to application needs, and facilitates the scaling of Big Data applications. For more agility in configuring, bullx S6000 servers feature hot plug memory and I/O blades.
Key innovative components
The bullx S6000 can integrate 1 to 8 compute modules. Each module is a 3U 2-socket rack server and contains:
- up to 8 hot plug memory blades with 6 memory DIMMs each, i.e. a total of up to 3 TB per compute module when using 64GB DIMMs;
- hot plug I/O blades that offer up to 7x PCIe Gen3 slots.
The compute modules are interconnected by a Connecting Box so as to stack 2, 4 or 8 modules to form a 4-socket, 8 socket or 16-socket supernode. XQPI links are integrated in the Connecting Box, thus allowing to get rid of external connecting cables.
All the performance of leading-edge Intel® Xeon® E7 processors
The bullx S6000 embarks Intel® Xeon® E7 family processors, with a choice between different models for the best fit with your applications (frequency optimized, power optimized…).
Designed for operational efficiency and maintainability
The bullx S6000 series has been designed for serviceability and operational efficiency. It has all required features to guarantee reliability, availability and quality of service:
- Redundancy of critical components.
- Hot-pluggable critical components – the innovative blade form-factor of memory and I/O modules enables hot-swapping.
- Patented mechanics for easy replacement of components: the disks, fans and PSUs can also be extracted without removing the server from the rack.
- Server partitioning.
- Internal regulation and alert systems.
- Dedicated maintenance processor.
- Ultra-Capacity module protecting against power outages of up to 300ms.
- Power-conscious design: with the Gen2 Active/Passive Power supply, energy consumption is reduced by 40%.